Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Meme Time



I've been tagged by Walter at Quiet Bubble, and the timing just couldn't be better:

  • I am procrastinating grading final exams.

  • I want it to be September in Toronto.

  • I wish Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane had made a dozen records together instead of just one.

  • I hate a cell phone going off in class.

  • I love Stan Getz’s tenor sax playing on Jobim’s “Só Danço Samba”. (It's probably my favorite sax solo.)

  • I miss my parents and family in India.

  • I fear that I get really defensive when people attack things I cherish. (e.g. Howard Hawks movies, Liz Phair records, Elzie Segar comics).

  • I hear Lady Sovereign’s “Fiddle With The Volume” on my laptop speakers.

  • I wonder if my students know that I have a blog. (I divulge zero personal detail in my classes.)

  • I regret that I didn’t take music lessons as a kid.

  • I am not a handyman.

  • I dance to Peggy Lee’s “Dance Only With Me”.

  • I sing bass lines to songs around the house. (I am single—this is not a coincidence.)

  • I cry at the end of Aki Kaurismaki’s Drifting Clouds. (Three times and counting.)

  • I am not always good about staying in touch with friends after I move. (I feel bad about this.)

  • I make with my hands a rice pulao of which my mom would approve.

  • I write first thing in the morning, warm cereal at my elbow and warm pegster at my feet.

  • I confuse titles and plot details of Ozu movies.

  • I need to dial down my daily Internerdery. (A tad.)

  • I should cultivate the discipline to make the gym a part of my daily routine.

  • I start every semester with all the ambition I can muster.

  • I finish every semester with an inventory of all the things that didn’t go as I had hoped. (There’s always next semester to fix old mistakes and make fresh ones.)

  • I tag Darren, Michael and Sacha.

  • 29 Comments:

    Blogger girish said...

    My doodle: Bernice the Whiffle Hen from Elzie Segar's Thimble Theater comics, circa 1929, a few weeks before Segar created Popeye as one of the characters in the series.
    Bernice is an amazing character herself...

    May 09, 2006 2:48 PM  
    Blogger Tuwa said...

    I've never noticed you defensive, for whatever it's worth.

    Thanks for the Peggy Lee. I've been thinking of posting some of her work; it's good to see some appreciation elsewhere (not alone! not alone!).

    May 09, 2006 4:06 PM  
    Anonymous Filmbrain said...

    "I confuse titles and plot details of Ozu movies."

    That might just be the best thing I'll read all week.

    And rest assured...you're not alone in that.

    May 09, 2006 5:34 PM  
    Anonymous Peter Nellhaus said...

    Count me in on Ozu as well. Is Tokyo Story remembered best because the title does not refer to a season or time? (I originally wrote "time or season" and off course starting flashing back to that song by The Zombies.)

    May 09, 2006 6:09 PM  
    Anonymous girish said...

    Tuwa, no exaggeration: Peggy Lee's my all-time favorite female singer.
    I have dozens of her records imprinted in my noggin. Even named my dog after her...

    Thanks, Filmbrain.
    btw, in case people haven't seen it: Filmbrain has a great Abel Ferrara story in the comments to the previous post.

    And anyone who'd like to pick up the meme and slap it on your site: please do.

    And now off to Rochester for a movie even though the gas prices scream no. This one's too good to pass up; shall try to blog about it if it gives me any ideas.

    May 09, 2006 6:12 PM  
    Anonymous Filmbrain said...

    Wait...let me guess, MI:3?

    Silent Hill?

    May 09, 2006 6:17 PM  
    Anonymous girish said...

    No, Filmbrain.
    A filmmaker close to your heart (and Anna Karina's).
    And now to hit the New York State thruway.

    May 09, 2006 6:22 PM  
    Blogger Eric Henderson said...

    I wish Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane had made a dozen records together instead of just one.

    Don't we all.

    May 09, 2006 6:55 PM  
    Anonymous Darren said...

    "I sing bass lines to songs around the house."

    Ha! God, I love that sentence. When I first read it, I was listening to "Go to Sleep (Little Man Being Erased)" by Radiohead, and I was bobbing my head, singing along with Colin Greenwood's bass line!

    May 09, 2006 8:45 PM  
    Anonymous Aaron Hillis said...

    Long time no comunicado, Girish. It's that damn festival's fault, which was the only place in town to get a picture of oneself with Abel Ferrara's ear. To finish Filmbrain's sighting story: After telling Abel F. that a bunch of people across the world wrote about his films on the same day, he said, "Oh yeah? Well..." and stumbled away mid-sentence to pursue a big-breasted party girl. That guy is the real deal, ripped from Bukowski's pages.

    Your mention of dialing down your "daily Internerdery" reminds me to ask: what do you use to compile all the blogs you read? I've been using Lektora, but I'm not terribly impressed with its functionability and the archival system plain sucks.

    Any suggestions -- and this applies to anyone reading this -- about what makes for a good one stop blog shop, especially when some sites don't use XML, Atom, RSS, etc.?

    May 09, 2006 10:05 PM  
    Blogger girish said...

    Eric, I've got pretty much every record (on every dinky label) Hartman put out, and some are very good, but yeah, not one comes close to the Coltrane record. Just six songs, and a half-hour long....

    Darren, I'm not sure what your experience with the bass has been, but when I was a teenager getting into music, I never really heard the bass. In the years since, it's gotten louder and clearer in my ear, and esp. in the last few years, when I hear music, I'm constantly trying to anticipate the bass notes along with the chord changes. Total music-geekness, I know, can't help it.

    Aaron, what can I say? Awesome Ferrara story. So funny. Oh, and in answer to your question, I couldn't live without Bloglines. I subscribe to about 120 blogs; they all have either RSS or Atom or some other feed, all of which Bloglines recognizes. Seriously, I'd give up the Internet if I didn't have it.
    Also, it's free, and web-based, so I can access it no matter where I am. I check it several times a day.

    May 09, 2006 11:36 PM  
    Blogger girish said...

    Oh, and I wanted to clarify. Those blogs I subscribe to are not just filmblogs, but also art/music/mp3/culture/personal blogs. And many of them don't get updated for weeks or months, so you don't have to bother checking them until they do.

    May 10, 2006 12:26 AM  
    Anonymous Aaron Hillis said...

    Thanks for the tip, that's a mighty bold recommendation. I'll be heading there now with a full report later.

    D'ya have any newly discovered blogs (the more esoteric the better, surprise me!) that you think I should add to my lineup?

    May 10, 2006 1:38 AM  
    Blogger girish said...

    Hey, Aaron. A few points/thoughts:

    --When you get Bloglines, make sure you download/bookmark the "subscribe with Bloglines" link/button. It makes it a one-click process, and thus very convenient.

    --I don't use Bloglines for any kind of archiving. (So, I can't speak to that.) I use it just to tell me when new posts have appeared. And it picks it up within minutes.

    --When I find blogs that I tend to read frequently, in addition to subscribing to the feeds, I also add them to my sidebar (if I remember to do it). So, when you're in a surfing mood, take a gander at my sidebar sometime.

    --If I can think of others, I'll be sure to drop 'em in an email to you.

    And I dig those images you've created for your links. I just saw Peter's; it's funny!

    May 10, 2006 9:03 AM  
    Blogger girish said...

    So, yesterday was spent giving my last exam, blogging the meme, and taking a movie road trip.
    Today, I have no excuses: down to some intense grading.

    May 10, 2006 9:38 AM  
    Anonymous acquarello said...

    "Today, I have no excuses: down to some intense grading."

    As an inducement, there something coming your way in the next few days as reward for your diligence. ;)

    May 10, 2006 11:00 AM  
    Anonymous Michael said...

    "I hate a cell phone going off in class."

    Man, that is the worst. I remember lecturing once, and a cell phone went off. A second or two later, I hear from the back of the room, "Hello?"

    The student had the nerve to answer the phone and begin a conversation. Needless to say, I registered my displeasure very clearly.

    May 10, 2006 12:52 PM  
    Blogger Tuwa said...

    Thanks for the bloglines suggestion, Girish; I'm already liking it more than Thunderbird (Thunderbird wasn't helped any by insisting I'm already signed up to various feeds I'm clearly not signed up to).

    Bloglines won't help me quit visiting your site so much, though; much of the action here is in the comments. (and that's not a bad thing). :-)

    May 10, 2006 1:41 PM  
    Blogger HarryTuttle said...

    I've got nearly 100 feeds subscribed at Bloglines, and only film related ;)
    It really saves time and helps to keep in touch in a glance. Although I wonder if this might be a downside for the traffic-meter as without comments it is the only way for bloggers to tell if anybody reads...
    I guess I would just miss more interesting posts with Bloglines anyway.
    I save some posts for keeps on Bloglines (in a click), it's quite handy.
    I agree with you Girish, it's the best online tool I know! Yes Tuwa it's a shame about the comments... but for instance acquarello implemented a feed for the comments on Cinemarati, too bad Bloggers doesn't offer that.

    May 10, 2006 4:22 PM  
    Blogger girish said...

    Thank you, Acquarello. I can think of a coupla cool books that you might enjoy that I can send you in exchange. (More reading!).

    Michael, I remember going to a movie in the theater recently when a guy took a phone call. Wanted to strangle the idiot.

    Tuwa: "Bloglines won't help me quit visiting your site so much, though".
    I'm glad... :-)

    Harry, I also visit blogs outside the RSS reader for the same reason, comments. What I really like about Bloglines is the notification aspect. No matter how many weeks or months a blog has been dormant, you know right away when it's updated.

    May 10, 2006 4:44 PM  
    Blogger girish said...

    Darren's meme post.

    May 10, 2006 4:47 PM  
    Anonymous Filmbrain said...

    Girish -- thanks for the Bloglines tip. Great tool -- don't know how I managed without it.

    Harry -- I've added an XML feed for the comments on my site. I'll be happy to share the code with anybody, if interested, though I believe it's specific for MoveableType/Typepad sites only.

    May 10, 2006 8:32 PM  
    Blogger girish said...

    Oh you're very welcome, Filmbrain.
    Glad Aaron asked about it.

    And here's Sacha with her meme...

    May 10, 2006 9:44 PM  
    Blogger girish said...

    Great Burt Bacharach post at the Round-Headed Boy's place.

    May 10, 2006 10:11 PM  
    Blogger girish said...

    Here's Michael with the meme.

    May 11, 2006 7:25 AM  
    Blogger girish said...

    The Pop View, with mp3's, contrasts two versions of Bach:" Jacques Loussier and Wendy Carlos.

    May 11, 2006 7:26 AM  
    Blogger girish said...

    Walter on Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle.

    May 11, 2006 7:28 AM  
    Blogger HarryTuttle said...

    Well done Filmbrain! The comments on your blog are also really active ;)

    Bloglines notifies instantly for new posts as well as edits on old posts (!) which would usually go unoticed even to the most acute visitor.
    Btw I don't use the Clipping archive, I just tick the "keep new" box for posts I will read later. So that makes my own compilation for each blog. :)

    There should be a new kind of group blog aggregator that allows to duplicate certain (not all) posts from our blogs for a thematic group, just like Bloglines retrieves individual posts when they are new, onto a new page. So instead of surfing the web by author, we could find in one place various authors writing on the same topic.
    (just an idea for web developpers in case it doesn't exist already somewhere...) ;)

    May 11, 2006 9:13 AM  
    Blogger Noel Vera said...

    I'd agree and disagree with Walter's article by degrees, myself. Agree that the ending is too abrupt (but then, so was the ending in the novel), that much of the dry humor was lost, that the story is more about relationships than magic, which is taken for granted (one of the things lost that I miss most in the film was the glimpse of Wales, which as he points out, looks magical to Sophie--and what's those boxes with the flickering images that the kids stare at so intently?).

    I do think that Sophie and Howl's relationship is given a a gentler but not sappier tone (I don't think Miyazaki is capable of sap). I do think that the shift from the witch to the warring state as villain was a daring move, and that with that shift Miyazaki makes the story more his own, and gives the film a relevance and impact it otherwise wouldn't have. And I'd say it was a fitfully great if flawed film.

    May 11, 2006 11:20 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home