Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Shambu

fish-scale guitar

I can die a happy and fulfilled man: I have a band named for me. No, I did nothing to earn or deserve it — merely owned a last name which, while probably quite banal and colorless in India, may strike some Westerners as odd or even exotic.

Shambu is a Buffalo quartet that was formed two years ago by a couple of students, college seniors both. Pete’s the leader; he writes most of the songs and plays an attractive Ovation acoustic. Mikey is one of the best tenor sax players in town and also an ace on the keys. And they both sing. Pete works for Ani DiFranco and her label Righteous Babe Records and Mikey’s now in med school. I started out as their prof, then became a friend.

Since I began teaching, my parents have dogged me with a peculiar request — write a book. They don’t care what it’s about: “Any damn book, so we can put it on our bookshelf at home in Chennai. It’s a form of immortality, you know.”

For the last couple of years, I haven’t heard a peep out of them about the book idea. I asked them recently: had they changed their mind? Their reply had me in stitches. No, they said. Since the formation of the band, the immortality thing was no longer an issue. I had simply gone as high as they could ever hope. Forget the book. I was way past that.

16 Comments:

Blogger girish said...

Okay, they didn't say "damn" but that was the general sentiment.

November 09, 2005 6:25 AM  
Blogger girish said...

Yes. I have a weakness for Darren's "banal details of day-to-day life" posts.
Favorite line: "A one-on-one conversation, instigated by the other person -- that's where I shine."

November 09, 2005 7:57 AM  
Anonymous rakesh said...

Damn Girish!!! Your posts are so funny and amusing and they always have a certian humane quality to it.I don't know if that makes any sense...Come on man!!!Write a book. You could be the next Milan Kundera...Speaking of Kundera, I wonder why they haven't awarded him a Nobel prize yet.

November 09, 2005 9:28 AM  
Blogger girish said...

And if you all will please forgive the immodesty of this gratuitous self-link to the Egoyan post. [scroll down all the way to see Rob Davis' comment.]
Damn, he writes good, don't he?
Now to start an Internet petition to revive his blog Errata--I miss it so.

November 09, 2005 9:43 AM  
Anonymous dvd said...

I've been meaning to ask you, Girish: what do you teach?

November 09, 2005 10:01 AM  
Anonymous rakesh said...

Rob is great. What the hell am i doing here in this site full of articulate people? I am a misfit.It's better that I keep my bloody opinions to myself.

November 09, 2005 10:04 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Once immortality is found through a band as opposed to the antiquated book, you can be certain that your enculturation has been completed, Girish. So congratulations! Kidding aside, I'll keep an ear available should they end up touring in Michigan.

November 09, 2005 10:48 AM  
Blogger Mike Slagor said...

I spent my undergrad years listening to Shambu - the band and the man. If I could go back and change it, I wouldn't have it any other way...

November 09, 2005 10:54 AM  
Blogger girish said...

Thanks, y'all.
Brian, I liked your desert island discs list. And I'm a huge fan of Hank Jones too.
Mike, I'll see you when you're in town for Thanksgiving. We've got a lot of catching up to do.
David, I teach in the business school, in the Operations/Production area. Used to be a chemical engineer.
One thing I find especially interesting in my area is the human (and humane) aspects of production systems.

November 09, 2005 11:21 AM  
Blogger girish said...

Siren Watches Betty Hutton, Lives.".

November 09, 2005 11:50 AM  
Blogger girish said...

Here's a blog with a long, hard look at the French riots.

November 09, 2005 1:42 PM  
Blogger www.gypsynan.blogspot.com said...

funny...getting to know your parents, finally, huh?! Old age will do that to you!

November 09, 2005 4:44 PM  
Blogger girish said...

It sure will.

November 09, 2005 5:44 PM  
Blogger girish said...

I happen to like Jim's "digressive giantism".

November 09, 2005 5:54 PM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

Write the book ... please.

November 12, 2005 6:57 AM  
Blogger girish said...

Thank you, Berlinbound. My parents sent me the exact same e-mail. :-)

November 12, 2005 9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home