Sunday, September 18, 2005

Toronto International Film Festival



In the last couple of weeks I caught about thirty movies and hung out with fellow cinemaphile pals. The screenings and the discussions and debates that ensued were both exhilarating and exhausting. I feel like I need a vacation from my vacation before I can re-orient myself to reality.

Toronto is a lovely city, especially in neon night-light, and it was a thrill to loll in cafés, sipping chai and people-watching, or roam downtown, looking for restaurants with good ethnic food (easily accomplished). And I even got a chance to dine at leisure with an impossibly elegant and erudite siren, which proved delightful.

As for the movies, here's a quick summary glance.

Faves:

Pretty Terrific:

Good & Solid:

Others — some interesting, some disappointing:

I'll post individual jottings on some favorite films over the next couple of weeks. That's about how long it usually takes for film festival hangover to subside.

14 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Sounds great, girish! I'm looking forward to the write-ups!

September 18, 2005 10:28 PM  
Anonymous Darren said...

Glad to hear you made it home safe. I walked in the door just past midnight and spent an hour or so doing laundry.

So sleepy.

September 19, 2005 12:06 PM  
Blogger Mike Slagor said...

Those are a lot of films...I love it.

September 19, 2005 12:26 PM  
Anonymous Michael said...

Glad to hear you had a great trip. Can't wait to hear more about some of those films!

September 19, 2005 1:06 PM  
Blogger girish said...

Yes, I'll begin posting on the movies soon, while they're still clattering around in my head.

Michael, I really enjoyed your "desert island discs" post.

September 19, 2005 2:23 PM  
Blogger NancyRae said...

Welcome back Girish. Looking forward to reading more.

September 19, 2005 3:13 PM  
Blogger HarryTuttle said...

I like this drawing with eyes and reels!
Looking forward to your thoughts on this festival.

September 19, 2005 8:32 PM  
Anonymous acquarello said...

Heheh, bloodshot eyes!

September 20, 2005 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Peter Nellhaus said...

Interesting list. It looks like you chose films as I have in past festivals, basing it on those that that likely would not get commercial runs, Cronenberg excepted. Some rain and wind here at Miami Beach, but Rita's biggest effect on my life will probably be the temporary disruption of mail and my Netflix queue.

September 20, 2005 1:20 PM  
Anonymous Michael said...

Thanks, Girish. I really enjoyed writing that post. (Now, I should do one for films as well.)

September 20, 2005 1:33 PM  
Anonymous dvd said...

Even the bad films on that list sound good. I'm especially interested in hearing about The Quiet, since it was the first production from the University of Texas' new production shingle; I'd heard some bad buzz about it from people who'd worked on it.

September 21, 2005 1:24 AM  
Blogger girish said...

David, The Quiet turned out to be one of the surprises of the fest. It's a superb and moody little teen film. I'll definitely post about it in the next few days. (The director and screenwriters talked about their experience shooting it at U/Texas).

September 21, 2005 7:19 AM  
Anonymous rakesh said...

I am moving to Toronto next month and I am excited. Hope to see you guys at next year's TIFF (I am a South Indian too. So girish, we gotta meet).
BTW, Did anyone check out Rowan Wood's "Little Fish"? I am a huge fan of Cate Blanchett and just want to know if the movie is any good.

October 13, 2005 10:42 AM  
Blogger Paul Irish said...

Nice roundup.
Now I just gotta acquire all those.
Where is the Criteron collection when you need it!?

October 14, 2005 12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home