Monday, September 26, 2005

Conversation With Father John



One of my cinephile acquaintances in town is a Jesuit priest, Father John (certainly not his real name). I ran into him on the subway this morning.

Me: So, Father...seen anything good lately?
Fr. John: I should say so. The 40 Year Old Virgin. Have you seen it?
Me: No, I haven't.
Fr. John: Well, you should. Did you read what the New Yorker had to say about it?
Me: Uh-uhn.
Fr. John: They called it...dirty...and funny. And that's exactly what it is...a dirty, funny film.
Me: [clearing my throat] Yeah. [pause] Anything else you've liked?
Fr. John: The Aristocrats. I'm sure you've seen that.
Me: Actually, no.
Fr. John: Really, why?
Me: I'm being a wuss about it. See, I don't know the joke, and everybody's been telling me that it's the most horrible, nauseating joke ever, and that's just scared me off.
Fr. John: [downward wave of the hand] Ehh...it's not so bad.
Me: Really?
Fr. John: Yeah, it's just a joke. It's offensive, but it's not that bad.
Me: Hmm.
Fr. John: [pause] You know, I could just tell you the joke now, and then you wouldn't have to worry about it.
[Long pause, while I picture in my head the once-in-a-lifetime experience of hearing the world's most obnoxious joke from a black-clad-and-collared Jesuit priest on a crowded subway]
Me: Nah, that's okay, Father. I think I'll just see the film.
Fr. John: Good for you.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Darren said...

I once had lunch with the local Russian Orthodox priest, and we spent the entire afternoon talking about Andrei Tarkovsky.

Yeah, my story isn't quite as good as yours.

September 26, 2005 5:26 PM  
Blogger girish said...

You know, Darren, I actually chatted with Fr. "John" about Tarkovsky once. He brought up some fine points of theology that unfortunately I don't quite remember, if I ever did understand them at the time.

I sometimes think I should take a little crash course in Christianity ("...For Dummies"); it would probably help me understand a whole lot of movies better (maybe).

September 26, 2005 5:32 PM  
Blogger phil said...

girish, what a great story. your dialogue posts are always fun. the great thing about this is that its almost like a joke about a priest telling a joke.

and if you ever need a quick run down of christianity, i'd be happy to oblige sometime. ha ha! my fairly strict protestant background has given me the upper hand yet again!!
mwa hahahahaaha!

September 26, 2005 8:17 PM  
Blogger Tuwa said...

The joke is funny, disgusting, obnoxious, painful, grating, and viciously satirical--or some combination of any of those--depending on who's telling it.

Still haven't seen 40 Year Old Virgin (or Corpse Bride!) Might have to catch those on DVD.

September 26, 2005 8:28 PM  
Blogger girish said...

Hey Phil, I've got some knotty Christian riddles for ya when I see you this weekend. I'll bring the vin rouge to go with.

Tuwa, I think I'm being scared off again... :-)

September 26, 2005 10:09 PM  
Blogger Mike Slagor said...

You know, that sounds like a typical Jezzie to me - The men who, although this is all hearsay, constantly get drunk in the basement of the hall on campus.

Way to go Girish, great story yet again!

September 27, 2005 2:29 PM  
Anonymous Filmbrain said...

Subway? In Buffalo? Learn something new every day. . .

Great exchange though.

September 27, 2005 6:55 PM  
Blogger girish said...

Yeah, I think that often surprises people.
It's not very elaborate or large--just a single line a few miles long--but it goes right through the city from one end to the other.

September 27, 2005 7:07 PM  
Blogger phil said...

...hm, i've heard worse rumors about the jesuits o' canisius than that one...

anyhoo. sounds good girish, like i said, i'll be happy to answer any questions as best i can. in vino est verum. i'm not sure what's in rouge though.

September 27, 2005 10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home