Friday, September 23, 2005

Art Voice

I'm excited. It looks like I'll be writing semi-regularly about film for the Buffalo alt-weekly, the Art Voice. My first piece appeared in today's issue, pictured above; it was on the Toronto film festival. I'm also working on articles about David Cronenberg's A History Of Violence and Wong Kar-Wai's 2046, which will appear in the next couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, the articles won't be easily accessible online (they'll be in — yuck — pdf format), but maybe I'll post excerpts or even complete reviews from time to time.


Anonymous davis said...

Excellent, Girish. Congrats. Hey, even if they're PDFs, it would be cool to see a link to the pieces when they're available. How you managed to crank out a TIFF piece between those 10 tiring days and grading/teaching, I'm not sure, but I'm looking forward to reading it.

September 23, 2005 1:28 PM  
Blogger girish said...

Thanks, Rob.
The TIFF piece wasn't a complete overview or anything. It was about 1000 words, but I wrote about just four movies: Hou, Cronenberg, Dardenne and The Quiet. And since it wasn't really for a cinephile audience, it wasn't very in-depth. But it was fun to do anyway.
And I got to cannibalize the reviews for my blog posts too. :-)

September 23, 2005 1:39 PM  
Anonymous Peter Nellhaus said...


September 23, 2005 2:38 PM  
Blogger girish said...

Thanks, Peter.
I enjoyed your story about meeting Nick Ray--I'm a big fan.

September 23, 2005 9:06 PM  
Anonymous Jim said...

Congratulations, Girish. They are lucky to have you.

September 23, 2005 11:22 PM  
Blogger girish said...

Hey thanks, Jim.
My parents are reading The World Is Flat, so I showed them your insightful essay-post, which we all enjoyed reading.

September 24, 2005 6:41 AM  
Blogger Musing said...

Congratulations, Girish! And, I'd also like the link to the PDF's if they're available.

September 24, 2005 8:43 AM  
Blogger girish said...

Thanks, Jeannette.
A little caveat: the pdf file is about 10 MB.
(The piece is on page 20 of the 45-page document.)
And here's the pdf.

September 24, 2005 9:19 AM  
Blogger Ed Garrity said...

Congratulations Girish! I thought you might be a famous film reviewer someday.

I don't see why you can't publish in both places, that way you can steer viewers from the blog world to the print world.

September 24, 2005 4:22 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Nice read, girish. I just saw History of Violence yesterday, and I'm glad the audience I saw it with wasn't overtly reacting the way your crowd was. Amazing film.

September 24, 2005 6:34 PM  
Blogger Brian said...


September 24, 2005 10:03 PM  
Anonymous rakesh said...

Congrats, Girish!!! I would really want you to write abt "2046" which is my fav Wong Kar-wai film. Yeah, it's not "In The Mood For love" which is like everybody's favourite. But I find 2046 more poetic.

October 17, 2005 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home