You Know, I've Never Seen That
It's hotter than July and I'm cranky. Today, I give you: biases.
I like my sci-fi movies doomy and dystopic (2001, Blade Runner), and not overly plot- and action-driven. I have a prejudice against lavish period epics both old and new. I used to think that violence in movies was cool, but now it seems such a bore — unless the filmmaker does something really interesting with it (Cronenberg, Woo, Peckinpah, Haneke). I don't just loathe corn, I fear it — Bollywood can do that to you. And finally, I don't get fantasy.
Self-Styled Siren has a large list of movies to be seen (and not seen). It reminds me that I've never seen the following:
- The Lord Of The Rings trilogy.
- Any Star Wars movie except Star Wars, which I thought great fun at the time.
- Willy Wonka. I didn't grow up in the U.S.
- Fight Club.
- Lawrence Of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago.
- Forrest Gump. Not even Capra-corn, which is the one kind I like.
So, I ask you: What movies have you not seen that everybody else has? And why? And do you really really recommend any of the movies above?