Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Music Meme

Do you want to be a polyester bride?
Polyester Bride


Michael tagged me with this, but I'd like to pick up his music meme instead, if it's okay with him.

Though I blather mostly about movies here, I spend much more time with music — listening to it, driving to it, playing it.

1. Total volume of music files on your computer.

About 150 GB, split between two machines. I bought my first CD player in 1990, and have spent most of my discretionary income on buying CDs since then. Maybe it was the formative influence of the mad-collage Bollywood music that was my first listening experience as a tot, but I like most all genres (no speed metal, thanks). In terms of volume of music on my computers, the top three genres are probably jazz, hip-hop and indie-rock.

2. The title and artist of the last CD you bought.

Timbaland and Magoo, Under Construction, part II.

3. Song playing right now.

A cover of Television's "Venus" by Chris Stamey, with backing band Yo La Tengo.

4. Five songs you have been listening to of late (or all-time favorites, or particularly personally meaningful songs).

All-time faves, this minute:

Miles Davis, "Someday My Prince Will Come".
Frank Sinatra, "You're Getting To Be A Habit With Me".
LL Cool J, "Around The Way Girl".
Peggy Lee, "You're Blasé".
Liz Phair, "Polyester Bride".

5. Tag five people.

This meme's old and got whiskers, so I shan't do that. But feel free to swoop down and pick it up if you feel like.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Michael said...

Girish, it's totally okay by me that you picked up the other meme. I really like your list of five favorite songs; all fine choices (and Miles ... oh, man, don't get me started ...)

July 19, 2005 7:35 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

That line that Liz sings--something something "alligator cowboy boots they just put on sale..."--is classic.

July 19, 2005 9:22 PM  
Anonymous Peter Nellhaus said...

1. 0
2. Smile by Brian Wilson
3. nothing, it's almost 1 am
4. All time: Moby Grape "Omaha", Suzanne Vega "Some Journey", Johnny Burnette and the Rock and Roll 3 "Honey Hush", Marvin Gaye, "Ain't that Peculiar", Bananarama "Cruel Summer".

As long as we're discussing music, I guess I should mention that while I didn't really know him, Bill Frisell and I were at the same high school, Denver East High Class of '69.

July 20, 2005 1:05 AM  
Blogger Flickhead said...

Peter -- I have SO got you beat: I was born on the same day in the same year in the same hospital as Sharon Stone.

!!!!!

July 20, 2005 7:31 AM  
Anonymous acquarello said...

I don't have a lot of music on my computer either, although for a while there, I was drinking the occasional Pepsi (not my brand of choice) just to get free iTunes codes to download on my Powerbook. :)

My five all time favorites are:

Railwayed, Kitchens of Distinction
Let's Go Out Tonight, The Blue Nile
China, Tori Amos
Pleasure and Pain, The Chameleons
Dreams Never End, New Order

July 21, 2005 10:23 AM  
Blogger girish said...

Nifty picks there, A.
I must've heard that Blue Nile album ("Hats") a million times.

July 21, 2005 10:44 AM  
Blogger girish said...

Acquarello, I've known you through your site for many years now, but I've known only a side of you, the uber-cinephile side, so it's also cool to discover this personal/autobio stuff about you. Hey, what can I say? I love Rear Window!

And did I ever tell you that Darren and I were talking at TIFF last year about all the people we met who knew of you and your site? You're more famous than you realize.

July 21, 2005 10:58 AM  
Anonymous Michael said...

Acquarello -- regarding "China" -- now, that's a great song.

July 21, 2005 1:06 PM  
Blogger girish said...

Acquarello--I'm diggin' your meme!

July 21, 2005 1:31 PM  
Anonymous acquarello said...

Speaking of wearing out albums, Little Earthquakes is definitely one of them, and something still get to me everytime I listen to China.

Yeah, I'm pretty paranoid about the personal stuff. Early on, when I still had the site on AOL, I had a cyberstalking incident where someone was able to track down my physical address, sent me (snail mail) letters, then later showed up on doorstep. Suffice it to say, I'm a lot more guarded now. :)

July 21, 2005 3:50 PM  
Blogger girish said...

Yikes.

July 21, 2005 4:04 PM  
Blogger Ed Garrity said...

Music Meme

1. Total volume of music files on my computer. 0 bytes.

2. The title and artist of the last CD you bought. The Essential Miles Davis

3. Song playing right now.
Cold, Cold Heart, Nora Jones

4. Five songs you have been listening to of late (or all-time favorites, or particularly personally meaningful songs).

I know What I Like Genesis
My Old School Steely Dan
An Englishman in New York Sting
Yours is No Disgrace Yes
Paint it Black The Rolling Stones

July 24, 2005 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home