Friday, July 22, 2005

Chantoozie Boings Back



• The pegster went under the knife this week. A large benign tumor needed to be scooped out. She was stoical in the extreme, setting, every step of the way, examples for wimpy humans like me to follow. She was a bit dopey from the Mickey Finn for a few hours, but was soon back to her hellraising self in the morning. She pilfered and feasted on a bag of cookies and I was never happier to see her do it.

• I met Mike Slagor when, as student president of the cinema club at my college, he asked me to be advisor. We've always been pals though, never prof and student. He called me the other day from grad school in Illinois to tell me that his local indie/arts video store was having a giant VHS sale and did I want anything in particular? Well, duh. Max Ophuls, of course. Mike braved the mob scene, stood in line, and snapped up my requests: The Earrings Of Madame De..., Liebelei and Caught. It has been one of my standing resolutions to spend my life hunting down every Ophuls film I can find. The hunt is afoot, and thanks, Mike.

• Mark your calendars, set your timers. TCM is doing Douglas Sirk's sublime The Tarnished Angels on Sunday at 4 pm Eastern. Based on the Faulkner novel Pylon, it stars Rock Hudson, Dorothy Malone and Robert Stack. It's notoriously hard to come by, let alone in widescreen, so here's your chance.

11 Comments:

Blogger Campaspe said...

Best wishes to the doggie! Hard to have one sick, I know. You are in for a treat with Tarnished Angels. Saw that one years at the Public and it's the most beautiful Sirk I've seen, a better movie than "Imitation of Life" (though I still prefer Imitation for largely personal reasons).

July 22, 2005 8:18 PM  
Blogger Mike Slagor said...

Girish!

I didn't know about Peggy! GIve her a high five for me and tell her I'm glad she's back up and running.....I'll see her in a few weeks!

July 22, 2005 8:49 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Glad everything worked out for Peg (hope you don't mind me calling her that, its just I'm a Steely Dan fan). Our cat 'Jack' had a tumor removed this past winter. When we first discovered it we we're really scared, loving Jack and his company and all. As soon as we noticed the tumor I surfed around on the internet for info, but only came across horror stories that kept me up all night. But the vet explained the next day how Jack's situatation was a bit different, his tumor being in an extremity as opposed to a spinal growth. He's alive and kickin' now, trying to get on my lap as I wright this.

July 23, 2005 12:04 AM  
Blogger girish said...

Thank you all for the well-wishes....Peg's back in default irrepressible mode.

July 23, 2005 6:36 AM  
Anonymous Darren said...

I love that drawing, Girish. It reminds me of the hours and hours I spent as a kid trying to get Snoopy just right.

Our house has become some kind of cat rescue over the last few years. We now have four running around, including two who went to the vet yesterday and are still loopy from the meds.

July 23, 2005 11:01 AM  
Blogger girish said...

Darren, I had no idea yours was a four-cat-domicile.

I didn't seriously start reading "Peanuts" till I moved to the States. Fantagraphics' chronological series of the Complete Peanuts is such a joy. And yes, great fun to draw.

July 23, 2005 1:25 PM  
Anonymous Darren said...

The four-cat-thing is not something I'm particularly proud of. If the latest one -- our kitten, Claire, named for the character on Six Feet Under, which I happened to have been watching when Joanna brought her home -- if Claire weren't so damn cute she would have been on her way to the no-kill shelter.

July 23, 2005 2:44 PM  
Blogger girish said...

Darren, I really like the Paris Texas pic on your site. It's funny--blue light seems to have a way of making an image automatically interesting. Not to mention mirrors.
I haven't seen the movie in a dog's age.

July 23, 2005 3:52 PM  
Blogger Ed Garrity said...

Glad to hear Peggy is wagging again. You must have been nervous ... it's tough when a family member has surgery!

July 24, 2005 5:59 PM  
Blogger Tuwa said...

I've been looking for various Ophuls films for ages, but Gainesville is not exactly the best place for it. I'm trying to exhaust the public library picking before hopping on the Netflix/GreenCine bandwagon, though. ... So many good films to see--Chuck's site, and filmbrain's, reminded me of that rather forcefully yesterday.

Best of luck to Peggy.

July 27, 2005 2:47 PM  
Blogger girish said...

Alas, Lola Montes (his most complex and baroque film) is the only Ophuls on DVD, what a shame!

July 27, 2005 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home