Monday, July 11, 2005

An Anniversary


Mom's anniver-sari

My parents are visiting me. It was their wedding anniversary yesterday. I live twenty minutes from Niagara Falls, so we spent the morning there.

According to anniversary custom, they donned new clothes, and we set out. It was brilliantly sunny. After we got past the security cordon — the aftermath of the London bombings — I settled down on the grass by the falls, just out of reach of the flying spray. My parents scurried up and down the banks of the Niagara river like little kids. Occasionally, they paused along the railing, craned their necks, caught a blast of spray on their faces, and giggled. Meanwhile, I read and drew in my sketchbook, keeping them in the corner of my eye, making sure they were playing safely.

Back home, my dad made a heady Indian dinner, while my mom, oblivious to my vigorous protestations, descended to the semi-dark of the basement to do my laundry, pair my socks and fold my shirts. After dinner, we watched a soap opera together on the 24-hour Tamil station on satellite TV.

This morning, I was in a meeting. A colleague leaned towards me in her chair and whispered in my ear, "Nice tie, Girish,....and um....listen, I think you're wearing one blue and one black sock..."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Peter Nellhaus said...

So what is your father's specialty? I like palak paneer.

July 12, 2005 12:21 AM  
Blogger girish said...

My parents are both whiz cooks, and they make a mean palak paneer. But our cuisine at home is usually South Indian, which is quite unlike the food at Indian restuarants in the U.S. (which are 99% North Indian).

July 12, 2005 5:23 AM  
Blogger Ed Garrity said...

Happy Anniversary to your parents!

A few comments: My friend Ravi went back to India a few weeks ago to celebrate his parents 5oth anniversary. It was hot! Near Lucknow it was 110F and I believe after the conversion to F, that somewhere in India they set a record temp - somewhere over 130F. Is that possible?! Wow. Anyway, if I was avoiding 100+F, getting NFalls mist in my face, I'd be giggling too!

- Just tell your colleague that wearing different colored socks is an old Indian custom. (That never works for me, but you can get away with it).

- I have 2 meetings at work tomorrow too! But, I guess we can't complain to everyone else ... so I'll just leave it at that.

July 12, 2005 6:32 AM  
Blogger Ed Garrity said...

Hey, I just noticed - anniver- sari. That's a great picture and a beautiful sari!

July 12, 2005 6:37 AM  
Blogger girish said...

Thanks, Ed. In my hometown (formerly known as Madras, now as Chennai), where my parents live, the temps routinely hit 115 or 120. And we're talking not dry but humid heat. Now you know why I moved to snowy Buffalo.

July 12, 2005 8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home