Monday, May 30, 2005

Wedding On The Water



My friend Colleen got married last weekend. Pam and Chris, whom I hadn't seen in years, came into town.

After I moved to the States, Pam was one of my first American friends. We played guitar and hunched over a Neil Young songbook together. One time, we were walking in the park, and I cracked open a pack of gum, balled up the wrapper and tossed it on the ground. Pam lunged to pick it up and gave me a horrified look: "Girish, you can't ever do that, okay?" I mumbled an apology and said something lame about it being "different in India". To this day, when I buy chewing gum, I think of that moment.

Chris and I used to record music together in a home studio. Now, I've been a movie-head for as long as I can remember but I don't think Chris ever knew that. We talked about absolutely nothing but music. At the wedding, we made plans for our ongoing dream project, writing arrangements for a bunch of jazz ballads set to electronica beats.

The ceremony was alfresco, on the lake. As Colleen and Jassen were exchanging their vows, the speedboats criss-crossing the water blew their horns to wish them well. Meanwhile, a hundred people leaned forward in their seats, trying to disentangle the words of the bride and groom from the din of the horns. Fragments and phrases floated up, and we didn't hear a single sentence in its entirety. But we knew what they were saying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home